Home Security Tips & Stats in Cincinnati

We all love Cincinnati but, sadly, it’s not as safe as we might like. Especially for homeowners. According to City-Data.com, theft (54%) and burglary (26%) combined to account for 80% of all crime in Cincinnati in 2012, the most recent records held on file. The website goes on to state that 5,483 burglaries were carried out in the city in 2012, giving Cincinnati a rating of 1,851 burglaries per 100,000 residents. These statistics leave the Queen City with a ‘Very High’ crime rate. With statistics like these, Cincinnati residents should be extra cautious when it comes to home security.

But how can you make your home more secure? Believe it or not, it’s easier than you think.

Here are some quick tips that will help you make your home safer and give you some peace of mind in the process.

1. Fit an alarm system

The No. 1 way to prevent a burglary is to scare burglars off before they even get started. An alarm will usually do that.

2. Install security lights

As above, security lights are a great deterrent. They also offer the chance to spot a burglar if they’re foolish enough to try and break in.

3. Limit opportunity

Most burglaries are committed by opportunistic criminals. Open windows and unlocked doors are generally the most common accomplices. Always ensure your windows and doors are secure and don’t leave valuables in the garden, your car, or anywhere else unprotected.

4. Keep your locks in working order

Father time takes its toll on window and door locks. Be sure to have these periodically checked over by an expert and upgrade when necessary.

5. Shore up your perimeter

Do trees, walls and fences offer access to the upper floor(s) of your property? Then make some adjustments. Inventive criminals are only too happy to climb up a tree or a wall.

6. Don’t leave your key in the door

Too many people think it’s safe to leave a key in the door lock when they’re home. Some even do so when they’re out. Don’t. It gives burglars a chance to steal or copy the key.

7. Limit access to your keys

Do you know how many people have a key to your door? Hopefully, you do. But if you didn’t change the locks when you moved in, there’s no way to gauge who has access to your home. Former tenants, ex-homeowners, realtors and more all present a security risk.

8. Make sure your ‘safe place’ is safe

If you’re leaving a spare key in a safe place, make sure it is safe. Forget about the obvious places too  (under a plant pot, under the window sill, inside your mailbox, etc.).

9. Don’t be cheap!

There’s a reason cheap locks and keys are cheap. Don’t skimp on quality when it comes to securing your home.

10. Store valuables in a locked safe

In the event a burglar gets in, ensuring valuable jewelry, cash and important documents are stored in a locked safe (which itself is bolted to the ground or hidden) can save a lot of stress and heartache.

Cincinnati Locksmith provides comprehensive security checks and locksmith services for residents and businesses across Cincinnati. Contact us to find out more about how we can help keep your property safe.